Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said last night that he did not know whether the decision to impose a 24-hour curfew was imminent or not, and added that the decision to implement that measure was being evaluated on a daily basis by doctors and other experts.
Commenting on the statement by the epidemiologist Predrag Kon that a total ban would make more sense in Belgrade, Vucic said that he “does not exclude such a decision”.
“We will make this decision quickly and efficiently, if necessary. We don’t need to inform citizens of it 48 hours in advance because I don’t think it will be such a big problem and it won’t last that long,” the President underlined.
Discover the most important foreign investments in Serbia in 2019: click here!
According to him, the longer weekend curfew yielded results. He also added that he also felt guilty for not imposing the curfew from Friday to Monday morning.
“Saturday afternoon cost us dearly because many people went out to have a picnic or a barbecue. The next ban will be most likely from Friday to Monday, but I don’t know what time from Friday. We’ll see what the doctors say. We will definitely implement this measure to Belgrade and Nis, we will see if we are going to do it in other cities,” announced Vucic.
The President went on to say he would abolish the state of emergency at the first opportunity, once the health of the citizens is no longer in jeopardy.
“I hope that within a month we will be able to abolish the state of emergency and start working seriously,” he stressed.
He revealed that he received reports on the progress of the epidemic three times a day, the first at about 11 p.m., the second at 4 a.m. and the third at about 7.30 a.m.
In the last 24 hours, 247 new cases of the coronavirus have been registered in Serbia, as well as three deaths. There are currently 2,447 people infected with the coronavirus and 61 have died so far.
This post is also available in: Italiano