Leonardo’s factory workers victims of economic crisis caused by coronavirus

It seems that the employees of the Italian company Leonardo are among the first victims of the crisis caused by the coronavirus; all 50 of them have been fired.

However, their employment contracts were terminated without notice and the company still owes them the salaries for the previous months and part of their travel expenses.

Leonardo’s employees discovered that they were fired by chance when a colleague went to the doctor and realised that she did not have health insurance. “It happened last Monday,” says one of the former employees, Irena Tenodi. The difficult situation in which they found themselves is further aggravated by the fact that the last salary they received was in March.

“The company no longer needs us as of June 6. We don’t have pension or health insurance anymore. I have no idea what we’re going to do. We did get a salary in March, but not travel expenses and we are waiting for the April salaries now”, says Tenodi.

Discover the most important foreign investments in Serbia in 2019: click here!

 Last Tuesday, the first shift workers were given to the notice of the termination of their job contract, together with which they were ordered to also waive the TFR, which the employer is required by law.

“We have not been notified of a decision on this, nor have we received any verbal explanation or at least a written statement that we are no longer have health insurance. We have a large number of female workers here. God forbid something should happen to me and I should go to a doctor. I can’t register at the employment office and my health insurance card is not valid,” says Irena.

A case like that of the workers at the Leonardo shoe factory in Subotica, where everyone was fired without advanced notice, has already happened in Serbia.

Previously, the Russian company Spilit had closed two factories in Vranje and Sombor and left more than 500 workers stranded. Before that, the Bulgarian company Hendi had also done the same thing, and before that, two other companies whose owners were German and Croatian.

It is interesting to note that almost all of them fled Serbia overnight and informed the workers and the public about their decision to leave the country a few days later only by e-mail.

Nigh escape

Last year, the Russian company Spilit practically abandoned Serbia overnight and left about 500 workers without a job in their two factories.

Before taht, the Bulgarian chain of mobile phone, equipment and household appliance stores Hendi had closed its stores throughout Serbia in one day, a total of about 200 facilities. The company informed the approximately 900 workers about the redundancies by e-mail.

Hendi arrived in Serbia on March 5, 2007 and on June 1, 2018, the workers received an e-mail saying that they no longer had a job, while a notice was published on the company’s website: “Dear customers, colleagues and friends, after 10 years of business in Serbia, we inform you that HENDI-TEL has ceased its activity. We thank you for your trust, cooperation and support”.

In 2013, the Croatian company Gold Exchange, engaged in trading in gold, had literally closed all of its 90 goldsmith shops in Serbia overnight, leaving 180 employees without the last two salaries.

Notice of closure on Viber

The German fish processing and canning factory Servfood in Smederevo closed in November 2018, only two years after the opening of the factory in Serbia. A dozen workers had protested in front of the closed gate of the factory asking for an explanation why, as they claimed, they had been warned about the closure only via a Viber message.

(Subotica.info, Blic, 11.06.2020)

https://www.subotica.com/vesti/leonardo-otpustio-sve-radnike-id38136.html?fbclid=IwAR14bVsjUArtmnUHLm1NJclttwFe-S_EuLWdUxIp_1LZ4eJ9eFboslmtQbA

https://www.blic.rs/biznis/leonardo-otkazi/tj8v471

This post is also available in: Italiano

Share this post

scroll to top
More in Hendi, leonardo, redundancy, Servfood, Spilit, subotica
Harsh reality for workers who were fired during the coronavirus outbreak

Germany’s Boysen to get EUR 10,000 per each new job it creates

Close