Following Serbian authorities deciding to place the Serbian Army and police on high alert due to the events in north Kosovo, the BBC reports that “the sabre-rattling is louder than ever and follows some media claims in Serbia that Pristina is preparing “an attack” on ethnic Serb areas in north Kosovo.”
“The government in Pristina has made no comment about the allegations. But it has previously accused Mr Vucic of playing “games” to stir up trouble”, the BBC reports and adds “Belgrade has increased its armed presence on the border in recent days after conflicting reports about a shooting incident in which no-one was hurt. Reports from Belgrade alleged ethnic Serbs came under attack, but the claim was rejected by Kosovo authorities in Pristina. Nevertheless, Serbia appeared to use the reports to justify intensifying its military presence on the border. So far, hostilities have been limited to harsh words, then on Monday, Serbia placed its army on combat alert. Kosovo has warned that if Nato’s KFOR peacekeeping force does not remove the roadblocks, then it will take matters into its own hands.”
Associated Press also reports about the latest developments regarding the Serbian Army and police and says that “Serbia on Monday placed its security troops on the border with Kosovo on “the full state of combat readiness,” ignoring NATO’s calls for calming down of tensions between the two wartime Balkan foes.”
“Serbia’s Interior Minister Bratislav Gasic said he “ordered the full combat readiness” of police and other security units and that they are placed under the command of the army chief of staff according to “their operational plan,” the AP goes on to report.
(N1, BBC, AP, 27.12.2022)
This post is also available in: Italiano