A second case of the COVID-19 coronavirus was confirmed by the Serbian Health Ministry on Monday.
The Ministry’s covid19.rs web site said that a Chinese national was confirmed to be infected with the coronavirus. A man from the town of Backa Topola in Vojvodina was confirmed to be infected on March 6.
The ministry said that all the other people who had been examined for the COVID-19 coronavirus had not tested positive.
Belgrade daily Blic said that the Chinese national who tested positive for the coronavirus was in hospital in Belgrade.
Discover the most important foreign investments in Serbia in 2019: click here!
It added that the man has been living in the Serbian capital for some time but had travelled to his homeland and probably contracted the disease there. The authorities are investigating who the Chinese national has been in contact with before deciding whether to order anyone into quarantine or just monitor them.
The Director-General of the World Health Organization warned today that the threat of a pandemic “has become very real”.
The whole of Italy – a country of some 60 million people – has been placed under quarantine, as the government steps up efforts to tackle a coronavirus outbreak that has affected more than 9,000 people so far and left 463 dead.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced late on Monday that he was extending restrictions on travel, that had been in place in the north, throughout the country.
Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic confirmed that there were 34 Serb nationals aboard the Grand Princess cruiser in the United States, which has a virus-infected person.
“Among those infected is one citizen of Serbia, Ivan Sofronijevic. He is in isolation and now feels well, has received the necessary medical care and is in contact with his family,” Dacic said in a statement.
This post is also available in: Italiano