A seat in parliament brings 2.5 million dinars into the party coffers

Political parties will get a total of 792.5 million dinars from the state budget for their election campaigns and according to the number of votes they win at the election.

Those parties, which, after the election, win more than 3% of the votes will divide 637 million according to their election results. If they fail to win at least 1% of the votes, they will get nothing from the state budget.

Parties and coalitions will receive 792.5 million dinars from the state budget for their election campaigns. Before the election, 20% of this amount, or 158.5 million dinars, will be distributed on equal terms, while the remaining 80%, 637 million dinars, will be distributed on the basis of election results.

Discover the most important foreign investments in Serbia in 2019: click here!

The main condition for being allocated this money before the election day is that political parties have to deposit a guarantee. If they win more than 1% of the votes (0.2% for minority parties) they will not have to refund the money, otherwise, the state will also take this amount as reimbursement.

The exact amount of money each election participant will receive will be known when everyone has decided whether or not to use the money from the budget.

According to Transparency Serbia, if the number of elections lists amounts to 20, as in 2016, 7.9 million dinars will be given to each list five days before the elections. In addition, those who go over the electoral threshold (3% of votes) will receive about 2.5 million dinars for each seat in the parliament they win. If a party wins half of the seats in the Parliament, it will be eligible to get 316 million dinars.

Much less money for the campaign is spent locally, so according to Transparency Serbia, any party in a medium-sized city will be able to count on the state budget support in the amount of 20,000 dinars and those who go over the electoral threshold will get an additional 30,000 dinars for each seat in the local parliament.

Transparency Serbia indicates that, in a sample of ten cities and municipalities, only one local government had correctly allocated the money to be distributed to campaign participants in the budget, while in two places the money was not even budgeted.

Parties can also use funds from private sources, but we should bear in mind that a person can donate to a political party participating in the election up to 20 average monthly earnings, while in the case of legal entities, this amount is a maximum of 200 average salaries (which amounted to 59,772 dinars in December).

Otherwise, in addition to the money for parties, the elections will cost an additional 1.2 billion dinars to execute.

(Vecernje Novosti, 10.03.2020)

https://www.novosti.rs/vesti/naslovna/izbori_2020/aktuelno.707.html:851950-Mandat-donosi-25-miliona-Finansijska-strana-parlamentarnih-izbora-nije-zanemarljiva

 

This post is also available in: Italiano

Share this post

scroll to top
More in 2020, election, financial support, political parties
Jeremic: Serbia agrees to Kosovo becoming UN member – US no longer hopes for a democratic Serbia

Many well-known names as SNS-endorsed election candidates

Close